Porcelain CrownsCrowns are sometimes referred to as "caps". They are custom made to fit your whole tooth, giving it a new surface. They are made to withstand the pressure of your bite, so you have full use of your teeth after they are capped. Crowns are meant to cover poorly shaped, broken or chipped and teeth that have surface decay. Crowns are a wonderful way to achieve the smile that makes you and everyone around you happy!
How are the Porcelain Crowns Installed?
- Dr. Mansbridge will give you a local anaesthetic, so you will feel no pain in your mouth as the dental work takes place.
- To make room for the crown, Dr. Mansbridge may file down the tooth that needs to be restored.
- An impression of your teeth is taken in order to custom make your final crown. The crown is built using restorative material (material used for fillings) based on the impression and will be the right shape for your mouth.
- As the final crown takes a lot of time, so Dr. Mansbridge places a temporary crown over the tooth that needs to be restored. The temporary crown is made from an impression of your tooth before it was filed down. It protects your tooth until the final crown is ready. A temporary crown will probably not have the same shape and colour as a final crown.
- On your next visit, Dr. Mansbridge takes off the temporary crown and puts on the final one. He also checks to make sure the crown is the right fit, shape, colour and bite before cementing the crown into place. You may also need orthodontic treatment, gum treatment or root canal treatment to prepare your mouth for a proper fitting crown.
Hamilton Dental Surgeon, Dr. Mansbridge specializes in giving you not only a healthy smile, but a healthy mouth where you can function and eat properly. Crowns help align your teeth, and protects your tooth from decay and unnecessary wear.
Contact Us About Dental Crowns